Turquoise Thinking Ltd were commissioned by Swansea University to provide research to aid the development of a new recruitment campaign to deliver critical success factors and increase student uptake. The current 2018 campaign was evaluated, plus four new ad concepts for the 2020 campaign.
How Turquoise met the research objectives
- Turquoise explored Swansea University’s brand image, spontaneous perceptions of the university, likelihood to consider, familiarity and motivations and barriers to consideration.
- Turquoise explored the current and previous campaigns with a view to informing new ad campaign development for testing.
- Turquoise tested several new concepts and provided recommendations on the optimum messaging, visuals, and positioning for the 2020 recruitment campaign
We undertook two phases of data collection to study the current and previous ad campaigns, beginning with a set of six focus groups with a pre-homework task, followed by 580 quantitative online interviews. The sample was composed of students, parents and influencers.
For the ad concept evaluation we utilised the following framework:
- Stand out: Will this ad be noticed to begin with?
- Appeal: Will the ad appeal to the audience?
- Message: What is being effectively communicated?
- Tagline: What tagline resonates well with the audience?
Insights were provided detailing the strengths, weaknesses, threats and opportunities of the campaigns. We provided detailed analysis in relation to the headline, imagery, content, messaging, text size, graphic styling, linguistic styling, colours, and brand perceptions of each campaign. As a result, we were able to provide Swansea University with clear direction on the best creative route to take forward for the 2020 campaign.
We also provided recommendations on some further testing and considerations for additional branding exercises. The research findings and recommendations were well received by the management and research teams at the university, who progressed with the campaign that was most favourably received by the audiences and which presented the best opportunity for the 2020 campaign to have maximum impact.
Laura and Lisa from Turquoise proved highly skilled at organising the project and executing all the different stages. The insights they delivered really helped us make the best decisions possible with confidence in the data. They proved to be flexible and accommodating without compromising on the quality, validity and reliability of the insights. Thank you both for all the hard work!
Gilad Ravitz, Market Insight Officer