Apprenticeships are a fantastic option for young people looking to begin their career. Apprenticeships are available within a variety of industries at various levels, meaning there’s something to suit everyone’s needs. The four levels of apprenticeships are intermediate, advanced, higher and degree.
Here are the top 10 reasons why you should consider undertaking an apprenticeship, written by me, Rosie Hayton, a real life practicing apprentice at Turquoise Thinking!
- Earn while you learn. Doing an apprenticeship enables you to enter the working world and earn a weekly wage whilst working towards a qualification. This allows you to reap the benefits of both classroom learning and practical learning.
- An alternative to university. Apprenticeships are an excellent option for those who want to enter straight into employment rather than go to university. A huge benefit of this is that all apprenticeships are completely free, even degree apprenticeships! This means you can get a degree without racking up thousands of pounds of debt.
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification. Upon completion of your apprenticeship, you’ll achieve a nationally recognised qualification. This can be added to your CV, promoting your skills and experience and showcasing your hard work and dedication.
- Gain invaluable experience. Undertaking an apprenticeship enables you to gain invaluable experience within a real working environment, whilst achieving a nationally recognised qualification. Apprenticeships give you the experience and skills desired by employers and allow you to learn the practical elements of the job, rather than just the theory.
- Ease yourself into employment. Leaving education and going straight into full-time employment can feel daunting for many young people. Apprenticeships are an excellent way to ease yourself into the working world, as your learning will be split between the workplace and the classroom. 4 days of the week will be spent in the workplace and 1 day at a college or training centre.
- Start your career in the industry of your choice. Apprenticeships enable you to kick-start your career into the industry of your choice, allowing you to test the water and discover the perfect career path for you. Apprenticeships have become much more popular in recent years and there are now over 1,500 different job roles available for apprentices across 15 industries, from construction to sales and marketing.
- Learn valuable skills. During your apprenticeship, you will develop a range of desirable skills from both the classroom and the workplace. Not only will you gain skills and experience to aid you in your chosen career, but you will also develop important employability skills such as communication and teamwork. Apprenticeships are an excellent way to learn workplace etiquette, which cannot be taught in the classroom alone and is a vital skill to have.
- Ongoing support. As an apprentice, you will have access to an assessor who will provide you with support throughout the duration of your apprenticeship. Your assessor is there to guide you through your course and answer any questions you may have.
- Student discounts. Apprentices are still classed as students; therefore, are entitled to student discounts. There is a student card specifically for apprentices; the NUS Apprentice Extra card, so you can work and earn a wage, whilst receiving the same benefits as other students.
- Progression opportunities. Apprenticeships often lead to fantastic progression opportunities. On completion of your course, your employer may offer you a permanent position at the company or you may be given the opportunity to undertake a more advanced apprenticeship.
Find out more…
Apprenticeships hold many benefits for both the apprentice and employer alike. If you’re interested in carrying out an apprenticeship and want to find out more, you can check out this blog from our very own market research apprentice.